Newark, NJ 07114
CCS is seeking a Mechanical Estimator with at least 5 years of commercial construction experience. Estimators will work primarily on negotiated commercial projects within our core markets and work closely with architects, engineers, owners, and subcontractors. Responsibilities for this position and required skills include:
- Handling the project from first estimate all the way through subcontracts being formalized
- Must be aggressive in providing innovative solutions to complex issues as they arise related to cost, lead-times, trade partners, and/or specified products or materials.
- Ability to make reliable predictions as it relates to cost and be comfortable estimating across all scopes of work.
- Must have experience preparing detailed conceptual cost estimates and conceptual cost studies from schematic or feasibility level documentation.
- Ability to prepare detailed estimates and as the design evolves, develop variance summaries between estimates and value engineering studies throughout.
- Ability to assemble a complete presentation-worthy estimate package that clearly communicates project cost.
- Must be able to collaborate with project team to establish the necessary staffing and project requirements.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction cost. * Ability to prepare detailed instructions to bidders, trade specific clarifications and comprehensive bid packages.
- Must have experience with the bidding process: soliciting bids, communicating with bidders, evaluating subcontractor proposals, using bid tally sheets, etc.
- Make subcontractor award recommendations to the customer/owner and negotiate and finalize subcontracts with trade partners.
- Must be prepared to participate and often lead the preparation and presentation of cost / budget information to the customer/owner.
- Must have experience being a member of the team involved in request for proposal responses (RFP’ s) and the formal presentation for a project.
- Able to engage and develop business with new and existing customers. Qualifications We are looking for a flexible, detail-oriented team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce quality work, and consistently meet deadlines. The successful candidate will possess:
- Conceptual budgeting / estimating.
- Conceptual design assistance.
- Design development through construction document estimating (quantification and pricing).
- Interaction with subcontractor / equipment vendor community within our market areas
- Presentation of estimates/budgets with owners/consultants.
- Preparation and analysis (scoping) of mechanical, plumbing, HVAC and automatic temperature controls bid packages.
- Value management of estimates produced.
- Subcontractor procurement. Qualifications We are looking for a flexible, detail-oriented team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce quality work, and consistently meet deadlines. The successful candidate will possess: * Excellent listening skills and strong communication skills.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex technical issues.
- Effective participation in team environment.
- Proficient computer skills excel and knowledge of Onscreen Takeoff.
- 5+ years of experience as an estimator
- A strong work ethic and a “ can-do,” solution-oriented attitude